(I write this because I have talked quite a few times about the subject but never offered any use cases for it.)
We have a core group of Gentoo Prefix users in #gentoo-prefix on freenode. I took a poll and gathered up all the use cases for Gentoo Prefix. They are in somewhat of an order:
- Bringing a Gentoo userland to your MacBook (macos/darwin) – without modifying the
- Allowing easy package management on your host where you do not have privileged access. No more manual
./configure --prefix=~/foo && make && make install
- GNU-ifying your non-GNU host, like Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc. (userland only, of course)
- Providing a similar environment across distros for your simulated build/customer environment.
- Using the familiar Gentoo/Portage on a non familiar OS
- “I use Gentoo Prefix because it is cool” -grobian
For a more detailed use-case analysis on some of the points above, please [read here]. Otherwise, enjoy!